Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Toilettes in Central America


I´m sure those that have traveled in Europe and Asia have encountered the toilettes that are just holes in the ground with ceramic to stand on. The surprising thing here in Central America is that so far, I have not encountered those toilettes anywhere. What is common here is that you can´t put the toilette paper in the toilette...you must put it in the trash can because more than likely there are cracked pipes along the way and the paper could get caught and build up. This sign however is the only time I´ve seen such instructions for flushing. Unfortunately, due to clogging the sink at my apartment the day I was moving out, I discovered this technique. It was a fun, educational find for me! :)

1 comment:

Echo said...

Just looked it up on Wikipedia. They're called squat toilets. In France, they're called Turkish toilets. The whole bucket thing: that's the way they do it Moracco.