Wednesday, May 31, 2006

African Perception

So, I thought I would do a post to comment on my perception of Africa.

I must comment on how little the warnings of being a female alone were relevant. Except for being blatently checked out at times (things I would experience in other countries say like Italy), I felt no fears of being a female walking alone. Ghazi tells me that tourist get some slack in these areas. Of course as in other places, discretion should be used in where you go alone. But also, most Tunisian women (and I suppose men for that matter) do not appear to be conservative Muslims. I see more covered women in London than I did in Tunisia.

The people in rural areas seem to have a purity and rawness about them that I don't feel in rural America. Maybe it has to do with little exposure to capitalist culture and a simple focus on sustaining and enjoying life. I was very drawn to this. It was the first time where I felt the serenity of a simple life could be satisfying. Simple should not mean uninformed, uninvolved and without access to the outside world.

So, here is my call for everyone to keep yourself informed of things outside of yourself and to live a life with purpose! May your mark leave the world a little better!

No comments: