Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Tunis, Tunisia

I visited my friend Ghazi in Tunisia this past weekend. How reminded I was that we need to continually visit places completely different than our norm! The first morning he had to work and so dropped me off in the old part of Tunis. As you can see there is a market for touristic/traditional goods. Notice the place/door at the top of the stairs, that is an old cafe that has been open since the 1300s! I arrived early enough that the shops were still opening and putting their goods out so that they didn't have time to harrass me too much to go in and take a look around. This all changed an hour later when all the tourists arrived! I sat and enjoyed a coffee (traditional Tunisian style) at the old cafe for a bit. I think one waiter was going to give me my coffee for free as I didn't have any small changed but another waiter took my 20 dinar bill.


As Tunisia in on the Mediterranean Sea and has been controlled by various European countries through the centuries, there are ruins and remnants of these ruling powers. Here is an example of a Roman aquaduct that would carry fresh water from 60 miles and store the water in these cavities where people would pull water through the circular holes.

No comments: