Sunday, July 09, 2006

Indymedia's Anti-G8 Film Festival

So, I did actually make it to the film festival. Saturday nights films were footage from the protests at last years G8 summit in Scotland. The film "Won't Get Fooled Again - G8" I found particularly interesting. It focused on the teenagers who were there to protest and demonstrated that children are intelligent enough to beware of and understand major world issues. But if you insist that children are dense, then the film is a demonstration of how simple the problem with G8 is because these kids get it. I must say that I was moved to see children being so passionated about things beyond pop culture and it helps to prove my idea that the best way to change this world is to educate our children properly. As I discussed with another festival attender, education isn't about learning dates, it's about learning why things are happening. We don't prevent bad history from repeating by know that something happened, but why it happened.

As a plug for IndyMedia...you should check them out. They have local websites all over the world and rely on local, responsible reporters to provide worthwhile news. That being said, I'm sure some cities' local IndyMedia sites may be more useful than others.

No comments: