Thursday, March 16, 2006

Classical Music Club

I have a visitor this week, Vinny, from Austin. He's on Spring Break hanging out. The first night he got here we (Jennifer joined us) went to what was advertised as a Classical Music Club at one of the neighborhood town halls (Shoreditch Town Hall). When I first heard about it, I was excited because I thought it was a real club that did classical music. It wasn't until we actually looked into going that I realized it was at a town hall and this made think it wouldn't be as interesting. It turns out it was interesting but maybe a bit too pricey (£15) for 1 hour of live music. The event is called This Isn't For You and occurs once a month. There are about 10 different pieces played by a few different groups. There was a rather eiry video collage playing up on the big wall while the music played. There were no seats so for a person who doesn't like to stand, this isn't good. By the end, some people had taken to sitting on the floor...including me and Vinny. There was quite a diverse crowd, all ages and walks of life...though mostly white. The performances were good, both from the selection and execution. I liked that it was a mix of composers. So unlike going to a symphony or orchestra where you only here one or two composers, here you can hear 4-6 different composers. For this fact and that I like the pieces, I recommend this show. You can buy beer, wine, water, and soft drinks. Oh, it takes place in a grand room in the town hall...very ballroom-ish. Despite recommending it, I don't know if I'll go back because of the value (£15 for 1 hour of live music). Oh I should say that a "dj" plays classical music before and after but with everyone talking, you can't really hear it until there is a dramatic bit in the song.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Jaynna - glad to see some postings, I was beginning to think you were falling down on the job of eating and drinking your way through Europe while listening to live music! Love ya! Aunt Cheri