Thursday, March 02, 2006

Nambu-tei (Japanese)

My downstairs neighbor Joy and I went out for dinner at a nice Japanese restaurant, Nambu-tei. The place was full of Asians so that is always a good sign to me of authentic food. Of course, I got sushi and it was very fresh and tasty. If I wasn't so tired, I'd rave more. This is definitely a place worth going back to. We had a glass of wine before, during, and after dinner so we had plenty of time for good conversation. She might have found an organization, Dan's Fund for Burns, that I could do some volunteer with and start to get more experience in the non-profit arena. It was started by a survivor of the Bali bombing 2 years ago. She was burned over most of her body and 10 of her closest friends and family were killed (including new husband). They were having their wedding reception! So she has started a foundation to provide financial and emotional help for those that have been through such traumatic experiences but can't find a group that will help them. So, we had fun conversation discussing how the world has deteriorated and how we want to change that! Joy is helping this lady find a way to keep the foundation going. She is retired (though still does a lot of work with non-profits) so I sort of feel like it was the meeting of the generations and that the torch will continue on!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I had read about this incident, or sadly, an incident very similiar to it. It's interesting to see what has come of that tragedy; something healing. As they say, be the change you want to see in the world.

The film and computer interactive portion of SXSW is starting up this week and there was a blurb about various blogs and key note speakers in the Chronicle. One listed a website you might find interesting: http://netcentriccampaigns.org/

I visited the site briefly and it looked interesting. I plan to look at it more closely when I have time.

Jaynna Sims said...

That is an interesting site...thanks for sharing!