Saturday, December 24, 2005

My quest for Tam's substitute


The Austin crew will know that my favorite Vietnamese place in Austin is Tam's and my love for soft spring rolls. It turns out, it is quite hard to find those here and there aren't many Vietnamese restaurants in central London. So I searched the web for a good, authentic Vietnamese place and Thanh Binh seemed to be the place. The first night I tried to venture to it, I went the wrong direction out the tube stop, but eventually found another Vietnamese. It wasn't the mom and pop place like I was looking for. So last night I ventured out again to find it and this time go the right way :). I found it and my it was lovely! Not only was it a mom-and-pop place, but the mom and pop were in a good-hearted argument the whole time...what entertainment!! The food was unique and not like any other Vietnamese I've had. The spring rolls were a little different as well and served with fish sauce (not peanut sauce). The main dish I thought from it's description might be like the shrimp yam cakes at Tam's, but alas, it was not, but quite interesting. It definitely is a place I will try more to explore the menu.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did they have the rice wraps?

Jaynna Sims said...

No rice wraps, but I will continue to look.