Tuesday, February 28, 2006

The Hot Puppies

Ok, this is a fun band! Most of my new friends (friends who have met me in the past 3-5 years) would think that I mostly like mellow, moany music. Back in the day, I was all about fun, energetic music. I don't know what it is, but I'm finding that side of myself again. Maybe it was just the scene of Austin got me into mellow music...not to say I don't still enjoy my chill stuff... Anyway, back to this new band I heard tonight... The Hot Puppies


The lead singer has a stage presence that I thought I would have if I was a lead singer of a band (You'll have to go see them to see what that is). The whole band put on a performance playing their instruments, and not an over-the-top performance, but a performance of those enjoying playing fun music. The lead singer and other girl are so unexpectantly dressed for a stage performance, but it works so well for them. The lead singer walks out on stage in a great little cocktail dress with fat pearls around her neck and wrists, carrying her stilettos and a tall can of Heiniken. She didn't once put her shoes on and between songs would take sip from her can (don't really know if it had beer or it was just a prop for water). Occassionally, the other chick would take the can from the lead singer's hand to take a sip. Great comraderyship between them! I think the person I liked next best was the drummer...he really knew how to exaggerate movements while playing the drums! Their music was fun and variant, lyrics playful and witty, and peformance made you want to talk with them because you knew a conversation with them would have to be equally as entertaining!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"The lead singer has a stage presence that I thought I would have if I was a lead singer of a band" -- this statement piques the curiosity as I really have no idea what to picture. I always thought you'd make a cool lead singer but you always denied that. How did you hear of this band?

as a side note, how come I always have to verify comments on your blog but not on others? Is this a setting you can specify?

Jaynna Sims said...

I occassionally check out online what's playing at some places and if the band sounds interesting...I go. I must say the band before them sucked and I didn't think merited a mention.

As for the verify comment thing, yeah it is a setting. Suppose to help prevent spams to your blog. If it's annoying, I can turn it off.

Anonymous said...

No it's not annoying, I was just wondering (being a non-blog afficando).