Thursday, February 02, 2006

Avignon

I should explain that I went to Avignon for my sister's wedding. My dad, mom and youngest bro came as well. We had a lovely time. My first full day was spent just wandering around the town. This is a tree that I really like and is in a park that overlooks the river and valley. There are trees in Avignon that none of us were certain of their type and my mom became quite obsessed with finding out. So we eventually looked them up and found out they are a member of the Sycamore tree family. They are called Oriental Plane trees (Plantanus Orientalis). I think this could be a baby one, but it may not. I liked it so I'm sharing the picture.

Avignon is a small city but full of history. Back in the day (sorry don't remember which century but it was something like the 12th or 14th century), France actually decided that the Pope should be in France so they moved the Popes "residence" to Avignon. There is a huge papal palace there. Those towering buildings are the palace and it's cathedral. It is in the old city that is inside the old city walls. There are other castles on hills outside of town and you can just imagine the lords back in the day plotting and planning how to attach the neighboring castle, though certainly the papal palace was immune to such. The old city is full of plenty of tiny winding streets with shopping and restaurants. We had wonderful meals there. Unfortunately, I didn't write down any names. Maybe my sister can add a comment with the names if she remembers some them.

No comments: