Sunday, February 05, 2006

Sorry for my absence

So, with the vacation and having to return to work, there wasn't time to catch up on the blog until now. I hope you haven't all completely abandoned me and enjoyed my updates on the time in France. I haven't really done much this week. But here is a quick recap.

I had bought a desk from Argos before I left for France and scheduled to have it delivered on this past Monday when I got back. Also scheduled to come was the bed for my 2nd room. It arrived so now I'm ready for visitors! Come one, come all! Back to the desk...it was schedule to come by 6pm and at 7pm, it still had not arrived so I called them to see what the deal was. It turned out that the desk was damaged when being put on the truck! When were they plan on calling me to tell me?! The customer support lady said the only thing to do now is cancel the order and re-order it...they don't just automatically reship another! But as it turned out they were out of stock already and I would have to wait until they were in stock. Their website shows items they don't have in stock but is still in their catalog. As it turns out, this desk doesn't even show up on their website anymore...they have issued a new catalog in my absence! I sort of wonder if they really ever had a desk for me and were mistaken on their number in stock. I have since ordered another desk and recieved it successfully. Though the delivery guy wouldn't help me carry the 2 boxes (I had to assemble it) it came in up the 3 flights of stairs. He somewhat snickered when I asked and he said no. Bastard! Anyway, I now have a desk to work on instead of my dining table.

Tuesday, my manager was in town for the day. We went for dinner at my neighborhood pub which also has a dartboard (which is so common in pubs). After eating (actually we had to go to another pub for the food, The Bricklayer's Arms) we returned to the Carpenter's Arms where the dartboard was and asked the guys who were playing if we could join them. The graciously let us and we played a few games with them. One of them was REALLY good. I didn't notice this, but it was pointed out to me that I won 2 of the 3 games we played. Pure luck...I'm such a random dart player! They taught us some new games that are fun, games that actually help you to refine your skills. With the way Americans play Cricket, it's not quite condusive to improving your game.

Friday night, I met Bernard at Bonnington Cafe to eat and listen to his friend Alex play the accordian for the cafe patrons. It's a small place that started as a place squatters could prepare meals and now has evolved to a restaurant ran by the locals. There is a rotation as to which local is cooking for the day. It's touted as being one of the best vegetarian restuarants in the city. It's BYOB so if you want some wine or beer with your meal, bring your own...it also won't hurt to bring your own glasses as well I think, but they will give you some.

Saturday night, my downstairs neighbor invited me to dinner as she was inviting some young people she thought I would get on with. It turns out the others were the guys who used to live in my flat before it was redone. One of their girlfriends was around when they lived in my place. Apparently, my flat used to be in such a state that people couldn't believe someone lived in it. They were floored by how it was improved! They are a fun bunch of people. Oh, one of them is dating a girl from Florence! Yes, I must go soon!

So, that's about it on my catch up. Now that I don't have the daunting task of trying to write all this, I'll be back to my old regular self! I hope you will keep coming back! Though I will put the disclaimer that now that work is going strong and I will be visiting customers, there may be some spots where I don't post as much or do very interesting things...but I'll try my best at those times.

No comments: