Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Gypsy Film Festival at the Ritzy Cinema

Sunday evening I joined Bernard for the Gypsy Film Festival at the Ritzy Cinema. This is one of the arthouses here in London. Unique in that it has a cafe where live music performances occur. Of course, you can see indie and foreign flicks as well. You can also buy wine and beer to enjoy while watching the movie.

At the festival, we only saw one film , Latcho Drom. It was a beautifully told story through the of the Gypsy people all over! There was almost no dialog, a story told almostly entirely with music. You see the various evolutions of the music. I was quite surprised by the emotions that were evoked from their music. I would definitely recommend this movie, though I would say that it might require a certain mood for some.

After the film, Bernard's orchestra (it happens to be a gypsy orchestra) conductor/instructor, performed with her band. She plays the violin and her parnter plays the according. What music it was! While I enjoyed it immensely, I'm so chilled right now, I can't seem to muster up the words to express how I enjoyed it. I'll just leave it at that. They play regularly at the Quecum Bar.

No comments: