Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Hackney Townhall meeting for the suspicious sale of properties

Last night, I attended a townhall meeting that was to address the sale of some commerical properties around the Broadway Market in Hackney (east side of London). This involved the occupation of a Tony's Cafe that I mentioned earlier in my post. There was one council member (it may have been the deputy mayor) against a room full of very upset (some angry) citizens. Being new to the situation, it appeared that the citizens had legitimate concerns with how their council has conducted itself with the selling of some of the properties. The councilmember could not give a straight answer to save her life!! I was there for about an hour and not once did it seem that she answered a question forthrightly. I had to leave before it ended but by the time I left, everyone was tired of her half answers and were becoming quite raucous. The preist who was mediating the event even asked at then end of a small speech intended to calm the crowds, "Why can't you just admit you f***** up?" I left just after what would be considered the guest of honor, Spirit, a local Jamaican shop owner who lost his shop due to some unusual dealings of the council, spoke to the councilmember and the audience about the sad state of affairs in their neighborhood. This brought a standing ovation. While it calmed the crowd for a bit, I think it only stirred their hearts more to demand more from their council. It was the most emotionally intense event I've ever attended. Reminds one of how they can't be a passive world citizen! On a side note, I was a little disappointed I got there late and couldn't use my new camera.

Afterwards, I attended the first pub quiz I've been to since I arrived. It was fun, a classic English pub quiz. It was at a pub named Shakespeare's in the Islington/Shoreditch area.

No comments: