Sunday, January 01, 2006

New Year with the Marionettes

A friend of a friend Bernard (saxophone player in the first picture) invited me to a party last night that was being held at what I found out was a marionette theatre called The Puppet Barge which is on a small barge on a canal in an area called Little Venice. It was a small gathering of puppeteers, musicians, singers, and dancers (and me). The night was filled with a continual jam session of 2 guitars, a homemade base, soprano sax, flute and clarinet. It was so nice. The 2 guitar players were excellent. This was their first night to meet but they played wonderfully together. Eventually we moved into the theater where the jam session continued and a puppeteer and others had the marionettes dancing to the music and other performances! It was such an enchanting evening! It was quite interesting to get to study the movements of the marionettes as the people played with them. The movements were slow enough to analyze how the marionette worked. It's quite mesmerizing to watch and I got to play with one as well. I definitely will go back to see an official performance. I also hope to photography the venue as it's quite picturesque with all the marionettes hanging on the deep red walls.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a completely different and fun NYE. Glad you were able to have a good time...

Jaynna Sims said...

Thanks, but may I ask who you are?

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful evening! Can't wait to see more photos!

Anonymous said...

That sounds really cool and a fun way to ring in the new year. I've only seen a marionette show once but I thought it was really neat too, and you even got to play with them. Is that motivation for you to start playing that trombone/trumpet (?) of yours? I don't suppose there were any ukulele players :)

Jaynna Sims said...

It was motivating to get me playing my trumpet but first I have to get it shipped over here. One girl recommended I use students at the Royal Academy of Music for trumpet lessons. There weren't any ukulele's, which means there's a need :). I was very fascinated with how marionettes work...I loved getting to study the movements.